Thursday, October 24, 2013

THIS CROW


 
  
THIS CROW HERE 


knows who I am
& what I do here.

Knows where he goes,

knows who owns what,
knows what’s what,

knows he knows.

His broad black voice
lets me know he knows he knows

HAW…..HAW….HAW

 
 
We both belong here.

How well we know it both.

 

Our cats and I,

our small family

& he,

uniquely share

this minor territory.
 

 





 





The small black shining buttons
he wears for eyes

one each side of head,
see me
quite perfectly.


From the top of his tall tree
he yells

I’ll see you later
in hell

HAW   HAW   HAW

No need
for either of us
to hurry.

I can wait, and so can he.

The leaves of the fall
are already falling from the trees.

 
You can go to hell, he thinks,
and see me there.

Sooner or later,
early enough.

A black wire through the branches
of his tree
connects me
to the rest of humanity.



 








Upon this wire,
he sits indifferently….
just another tree branch
beneath his black eyes and his black feet.

On the bottoms of those sharpened feet,
the itch of electrons
passes through the wire,

our human speech,
other tongues, not his,
that come to speak to me.
 
Time alone can tell
who will be
the first & last to leave
 
Me,
or he?
 

haw haw haw




JAMIE REID

No comments:

Post a Comment